Sunday, May 07, 2006

I got the power!

Finally, I will be allowed to vote in the general elections to be held tomorrow!! Though the legal age permissible for a Citizen of India to vote is 18 and I'm 20. This is the first elections that are taking place after I have reached the magic age!

The funny thing now is, I have to decide on whom to vote for and I dont have a clue! I dont know what each one of the parties will do?! Call this plain ignorance, but frankly, I have to devote sometime from now on to decide on the right party(from all of the wrong ones) to cast my vote for. Or I can chose not to exercise me vote but that would be a shame! I have the right to vote! And I should exercise it!

It has become more of a marketing gimmick than a legitimate show of care for the citizens with all the parties competing to give the citizens their share of perks! All of that can be left out and instead, education, a much needed service for the lesser few must be provided free of cost right upto college. Its only because of the lack of free education facilities that poor people tend to drop out of school and go to work. So what about their children, they may study for a while, but will be eventually sent off to work to support the family, so the end result, The rich keep getting richer, the poor keep getting poorer! This can be avoided by letting them study as much as they want to and to be able to support themselves in a more rewarding way.
According to Rule 49-O of the Conduct of Election Rules, 1961, if an elector whose roll number has been entered in the register of electoral rolls in Form 17A, decides not to vote, a remark to this effect shall be made against the said entry by the Presiding Officer and the signature and thumb impression of the elector shall be obtained against such remark
As for my decision to vote, it depends on whether the "no-vote" option too is by ways of a secret ballot.. Sigh!

You can decide not to vote - from The Hindu dated Apr 04, 2006.
'O' Podu - Social Awareness Movement about the 49-O Rule.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home