Monday, June 26, 2006

Easy million!

I came across The Million Dollar Webpage again today. It is a totally novel concept of selling pixels to advertisers over a guaranteed five year period and perhaps more which helped the founder of the site, Alex Tew to pay his way through college.

It is kind of interesting to see so many small images advertising and automatically incites us to click on the whacky ones! Looks cluttered, but he's sold out!! At 1$ per pixel, he's already made a cool million!!

I have also come across many copy-cat sites similar to this which aren't popular. On the internet, if one guy (or gal) comes up with an idea, all the others try to ape the same and try to acheive success, sometimes ruining the original business too.
They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. So I think any copy-cat sites will only have pure comedy value, whereas mine possibly has a bit of comedy PLUS some actual pull in terms of advertising dollars (I will be able to afford swanky socks, they will only get to buy crappy ones probably! They could have my old ones, if they like).
Alex Tew in his site's FAQ to the question Are you worried about copy-cats/rip-offs? :-)

Got an original idea? You might just make a million out of it! Good luck!

1 Comments:

At 6:33 AM, October 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been watching the imitators and the only one I think has a chance so far is http://pathofchoices.com

There are a few other sites that I couldn't call imitators that also seem to be having an okay start as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home