Friday, June 02, 2006

Palani - A holy city

Yesterday, I was on a trip to Palani, the holy city with my Parents and my sister to offer prayers at the Temple there. The company for which my dad works has been commissioned to make the guard rails and other crowd controls made of stainless steel and my dad had to go there to check if things were fine.

We started from home around 6:00 AM for the three hour or so journey to the city, reached there around 10 and proceeded to have breakfast. Then we made our way to the winch or rope car as it is called here and were disappointed to hear that two cars weren't functioning and the available one would take two hours till the next trip began.

So, we decided to walk and trotted on to the entrance(the Winch entrance is quite some distance from the main adivaram or foothills). My father and mother had some difficulties climbing the steps to the top, but eventually we made it, Mom struggled a lot though. There are no other ways to the top, only by the stairs and the rope cars/train which weren't functioning sadly.

The Gold-plated Spire of the Palani Murugan Temple

We waited for our turn, and then had a good darshan, offered our prayers, had lunch at the temple and then we returned the same way, and were home by the evening. I was ok till evening, but now, I have cramps in my legs!! But it was worth the climb!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home