Thursday, May 11, 2006

Looking for a good blog software?

Try Wordpress.com, its a very good publishing platform and is the freely hosted option of one of the largest self hosted blogging software in the world. Go to Wordpress.org to download and install on your own server!

It has a lot of built in features that Blogger(this blog runs on) doesn't possess! Such as built-in trackback and categorisation of entries. You can also add pages to your blog, making it a small website in the progress!! There are also templates that rock onsite!!

This is from the Wordpress.org website!

WordPress was born out of a desire for an elegant, well-architectured personal publishing system built on PHP and MySQL and licensed under the GPL. It is the official successor of b2/cafelog. WordPress is fresh software, but its roots and development go back to 2001. It is a mature and stable product. We hope by focusing on user experience and web standards we can create a tool different from anything else out there.

2005 was a very exciting year for WordPress, as it saw the release of our 1.5 version which was downloaded over 900,000 times, the start of hosted service WordPress.com to expand WP's reach, the founding of Automattic by several core members of the WP team, and finally the release of version 2.0.

Best of all, its open source!

Some Wordpress blogs in action:
Xavier Roy's Journal (Self-hosted)
All in a day's work! (Kishore's Blog on Wordpress.com)

6 Comments:

At 8:22 AM, May 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Google has not lived upto expectations when it comes to improving blogger. It has been far too slow in adding new stuff to it.

 
At 12:30 PM, May 12, 2006, Blogger Jax said...

I think this year would the year when Blogger re-invents itself. Just wait and see. :-)

 
At 3:28 PM, May 12, 2006, Blogger Thiya said...

I am still here at Blogger because am sorta lazy to meddle with database issues that can probably arise on my server if i install Wordpress and do something funny on my part!

With blogger, the entries are all just plain html, and so its very easy to take/restore backups. But blogger could do with a lot more features.

Hope Blogger does something great as it has done to most of its other services! :-)

 
At 4:56 PM, May 16, 2006, Blogger Jax said...

Porting to WP from blogger is a breeze. I don't think you might face any database issues from my experience ;-)

 
At 9:18 PM, May 16, 2006, Blogger Thiya said...

:-D Was scared after listening to some issues that you had! Is there something in Wordpress like "Retrieve blogs" or something which I can use to get back my entries AND comments from this blog?? Especially since I dont have feeds for the comments.. :-( Any ideas, or will it crawl and take it with the time stamps??

 
At 12:39 AM, May 17, 2006, Blogger Thiya said...

I found this one.. http://catsutorials.catsudon.org/?p=15

What shall I do?? Shall i wait for Google to perform their magic? Or shall I make the jump?? Though I like the way people can track me from other blogger blogs by clicking on my profile and then viewing all my blogs. A community sorta.. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home